I looked at the Java Micro Edition, and did some simple programming using a mobile phone emulator. Then I looked at X-Code, but that seemed to require a MacIntosh for development. Is Objective-C the way to go? Also, what is the best 'getting-started' book to use?

Views: 292

Replies to This Discussion

how are you
If you're wanting to write for the App Store, XCode is pretty much it. All of the iPhone libraries are either Objective-C (user interface) with some C level under pinnings.

As far as books go, to be honest I don't believe anything really talks about the current 3.1 OS, so I'm a bit hesitant to recommend anything today. The Apple docs on the dev site aren't too bad.

rob.
Mara said:
how are you
Let's just say I've been better.
I have this error: ".objc_class_name_MCPConnection", referenced from:
If you look at some of the developer agreements, at least one of them specified that the software must be developed on a Mac.

The Mac Mini is the cheapest to buy new, but any Intel-based Mac will do. I recommend against any of the single-core Macs myself.

I've read Zdziarski's "iPhone Forensics" book and it was really good. (Perhaps outdated now.) And its an O'Reilly book. So his other books might also be good.

I've looked through a "cookbook" in the bookstore. It seemed really straight-forward, except that it kept mentioning things that were not in the public API's (Apple's agreements require using only public API's in apps for the App Store.)

Aaron Hillegass and the Big Nerd Ranch have been doing Cocoa training and books for many years. His Cocoa and Mac OS X books are very good. (Objective-C is rolled up in there too.)

Once you have your developer account with Apple, you can access some videos on iPhone programming.

There are some alternative iPhone App generators out there, but they are usually specific to games and such. Apparently Adobe has a Flash-to-iPhone app generator as well. (Turns a flash show into a stand-alone app.)

It is possible to do Objective-C coding with any computer that can run the gcc compiler. I've seen a friend using it to write Objective-C on a Linux box (intending to transfer to a Mac sometime later.) However, that does not include the Cocoa frameworks that ship with the Apple OS's.

XCode does have some very good features for programming on iPhone or Mac. In particular, the code-completion feature makes entering the very-long method names very easy. (Not only do you know there is no typo in the name, but the argument list is completed as well.)
Thanks! I'll start looking at getting a mac and diving into this.
Hi Kevin,
I noticed that, like me, you are getting into iPhone development.

I joined the iPhone Development group and pretty new to iPhone development. I am looking to network with other developers, share my experiences and learn from others. I have been an applications developer for a large corporations in Jax, FL for more than 25 years. I got involved with iPhone development as a fall back due to many layoffs at my company. Fortunately I am still employed and enjoying working with Apple's XCODE SDK.

I just released my first iPhone App, Party Twacker, on December 11, 2009. If you ever get stumped on and iPhone dev issues, feel free to send me a message.

Take Care,
Kevin Collins
I checked out the party Twacker - cool! Sadly, I am not into the bar or even the drinking scene anymore, but if I was I'm sure I'd use it. You can see some of my stuff here:
http://user.gru.net/nemesis/iphoneAppPages/
You have been busy! Six apps already in iTunes. That's impressive. I am not trying to get personal but how has your marketing been going? I am in the process of publishing a Lite Version of my app to try get more interested buyers. With the App Store not having a return policy, people are more reluctant to purchase apps. I am checking out your apps now and they look really cool. Best of Luck with your Apps.
Kevin

Kevin Neelands said:
I checked out the party Twacker - cool! Sadly, I am not into the bar or even the drinking scene anymore, but if I was I'm sure I'd use it. You can see some of my stuff here:
http://user.gru.net/nemesis/iphoneAppPages/
How's marketing going? I'm earning enough to treat myself to delivery pizza once a week. I *think* good reviews help the marketing process, so if you enjoy and of my apps please write one! The picture-kaleidoscope is a rather good fit with party twacker - take a photo of a cute girl, create a a kaleidoscope image of her, and she'll be tickled pink!

RSS

Happy 10th year, JCertif!

Notes

Welcome to Codetown!

Codetown is a social network. It's got blogs, forums, groups, personal pages and more! You might think of Codetown as a funky camper van with lots of compartments for your stuff and a great multimedia system, too! Best of all, Codetown has room for all of your friends.

When you create a profile for yourself you get a personal page automatically. That's where you can be creative and do your own thing. People who want to get to know you will click on your name or picture and…
Continue

Created by Michael Levin Dec 18, 2008 at 6:56pm. Last updated by Michael Levin May 4, 2018.

Looking for Jobs or Staff?

Check out the Codetown Jobs group.

 

Enjoy the site? Support Codetown with your donation.



InfoQ Reading List

Java News Roundup: JobRunr 9, OpenXava 8, Quarkus, LangChain4j, JNoSQL, Introducing Lathe

This week's Java roundup for September 28th, 2026, features news highlighting: the GA releases of JobRunr 9.0 and OpenXava 8.0; point releases for Quarkus, Micronaut, LangChain4j, Eclipse JNoSQL; ADK for Java and ADK for Kotlin; and introducing Lathe, a new Java language server.

By Michael Redlich

Akka Tests Spec-Driven AI Delivery Across 65 Open Source Projects

Akka used 65 open-source projects to examine how specification structure, context, model selection, automated validation, and delivery guardrails affect AI assisted software porting. The experiment measured time, token use, code size, test parity, and performance, finding substantial variation across models, effort levels, and project types.

By Leela Kumili

Presentation: Building Reusable Evaluation Frameworks for Agentic AI Products

Susan Chang explains how Elastic transitioned from siloed, ad-hoc AI agent evaluations to a unified, production-grade framework. She discusses balancing LLM-as-a-judge with deterministic rules, bridging Python data science evals with TypeScript production code, and implementing deep tracing to catch regressions across complex RAG and cybersecurity workloads while preserving domain context.

By Susan Chang

Podcast: Future Cybersecurity: Hardware Memory Safety, Automated Governance and Post-Quantum Cryptography

In this episode, Chris Swan, engineer at Atsign and security track host at QCon London, reflects on the ideas shared during QCon London 2026 and teases topics of the future edition. The discussion explores how security engineering is shifting from relying on human vigilance toward automated, system-level defences across the entire application stack.

By Chris Swan

Article: The Platform Engineering Playbook for Production LLMs

In this article, author discusses his experience with AI agent hallucinations in an inventory recommendation system and how this problem was solved by treating the LLM stack as a platform infrastructure concern instead of as an application one. He makes a case for a shared LLM platform with common services like prompt registry & versioning, schema enforcement and token cost attribution by request.

By Aditya Mulik

© 2026   Created by Michael Levin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service